How do I access my online course and are there any specific technical issues that may affect my experience?
CSI's online courses are designed so that you only require basic computer skills, specifically familiarity with e-mail and web browsing.
For best results your Internet modem should be at least 28.8 kbps.
To get the maximum benefit from your online course, please take the time to review the following information on:
If your screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or less, you will see the mobile version of the website. Instead of a menu bar across the top of the page, you will see a menu icon at the top right corner of the page which consists of three (3) horizontal lines. The mobile version's menu icon contains the same content as the menu bar of the full desktop site.
Besides Internet access and a web browser such as Internet Explorer, you may also need a "plug-in" to access parts of your course.
Are you having issues logging into Blackboard?
Many of the multimedia elements in the CSI Online Courses are programmed in a language called "Java". Your web browser must be configured to view these Java multimedia elements (also known as "applets"). To configure your browser:
CSI Online course material may be presented in Adobe Acrobat, or .PDF format. To view these files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader Plugin installed. You will usually get a warning message when you try to open a PDF file that will lead you to the download page. If not, you can download the latest version.
After installation, the Acrobat plug-in will open the PDF file for the module you are working on in your browser, and/or you may download the text file to your hard drive where it can be viewed/printed using Acrobat Reader.
Many of the activities in your online course are powered by Flash. Usually you will already have installed the Flash Player, which allows you to see the activities or animations. If you can't see the CSI logo on the left, then you need to download the latest version of the Flash Player.
Please note: A minimum version of Flash Player 7 is required to ensure that interactive learning activities function properly.
Pop-up blockers work in the background while you browse the internet. When they detect a pop-up window that may be an unwanted advertisement, they automatically close the window. This can prevent your course from performing properly. If you are unable to view discussion postings, assessment windows and download links, then disable pop-up blocking on your system.
Depending on the pop-up blocking software you are using, you may be able to set your WebCT server as an allowed site, or you may need to disable the pop-up blocker while using WebCT.
To disable pop-up blockers for WebCT:
Examples of programs that include pop-up blocking functions include the following:
How to disable Browser Pop-up blockers:
Are CSI courses accessible through a mobile device?
I can't view readings in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format - how do I fix this?
Where can I get technical assistance?
Finally, contact us at CSI customer support.
How do I logout out of an online course session?
Session already Running
Should you run into a message "Session already Running":
1. Complete the browser tuneup at http://www2.blackboard.com/tuneup/viewpage?name=tuneup_start
2. If you have an additional search bar (Google, Hotbar, etc) that has been installed on your browser by a third party, try removing it. To do so, go to Start at the bottom left of your computer screen, and then go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
3. Spyware and/or a browser hijacker may be causing the problem. Spyware can prevent users from accessing websites or installing programs like Java. Download and run Ad-Aware (visit http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ and click on the Ad-Aware FREE link on the right side of the page).
4. Clear all cookies (in IE, go to Tools > Internet Options, and in the General tab, click on Delete Cookies)
5. If you are using a bookmark to access WebCT, make sure that you´┐?re going to www.csi.ca, and not bookmarking the page you get to after you log in.
6. When leaving WebCT, make sure you close down your browser completely before trying to log in again.