WHAT ARE THE MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS?
To represent yourself an as active CIWM in good standing - and to uphold the prestige of your letters - you must renew your designation annually.
All CIWMs must renew their designation by their anniversary date (the date the designation was originally granted). You will receive email reminders 4 weeks and 1 week prior to your renewal deadline.
YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- The world we work and live in is constantly evolving. As a financial advisor it's critical that you commit to lifelong learning and have a handle on the trends and issues that affect your industry - and, most importantly, your clients.
- CE content must fall within the CIWM Professional Competency Profile and knowledge associated with the CIWM designation. Examples of knowledge areas are:
- 9 hours of professional development CE credits
- 3 hours of compliance-related CE credits
- CE Tools & Resources
- Code of Ethics
- CIWMs must re-commit to the CIWM Code of Ethics each year.
- To continue using the CIWMs trademarks in your own marketing, CIWMs must re-commit to the Certification Mark License Agreement each year.
- CIWMs are required to pay a non-refundable license fee of $325 each year.
Tools and Resources
Qualifying Activity Providers
Courses can be taken from CSI or other external providers (e.g., community colleges, universities, other professional education providers or in-house at your employer).
Activity & Hours Tracking
IF YOU DO NOT RENEW
WHAT IS THE REINSTATEMENT POLICY?
CIWMs are given the opportunity to reactivate their license after a lapse of up to 5 years. If your designation has lapsed for more than 5 years, you'll be required to re-take and successfully complete CIWM Certification Examination as the SW360 is no longer available. If the lapse is 5 years or less, you can reactivate by completing the following steps:
- Prove CE requirements have been met
- Pay a $50 administration fee
- Agree to the CIWM Code of Ethics and Certification Mark License Agreement
As of January 1, 2018, if you have not renewed within 12 months of your license renewal date, you will be required to pay a late fee of $50, a reinstatement fee of $325 and the standard annual renewal fee of $325. You will also be asked to prove completion of your CE requirements for all the years of non-renewal. This will require you to submit transcripts showing course completion dates as well as course outlines.