Upon completion of Financial Planning for Snowbirds, learners will be able to:
- Determine how Canadian snowbirds are taxed for U.S. income tax purposes
- Calculate the number of days that a snowbirds spends in the U.S. under the Substantial Presence Test
- Explain the purposes and filing requirements of the Closer Connection Exception Statement
- Determine the U.S. income tax filing and withholding tax requirement upon the sale of U.S. real property
- Explain the purpose of and requirements for obtaining a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number
- Explain many of the real estate terms that are unique to U.S. real property purchases
- Outline the differences between Canadian and U.S. mortgages
- Calculate the amount of withholding tax that is imposed on different forms of U.S. investment income
- Identify the U.S. securities rules with respect to managing investment and registered investment accounts on behalf of snowbirds in the U.S.
- Determine whether a snowbird qualifies for Canadian and U.S. social security benefits
- List the various and the additional credits available to reduce or eliminate U.S. estate tax
- Explain and determine the most appropriate strategies to minimize, eliminate or to defer U.S. estate tax
- Explain to snowbirds clients the features they should look for in travel insurance
- Explain to clients the use of long-term care, critical illness and property insurance within their risk management planning
- Describe the requirements for establishing non-residency for Canadian income tax purposes
- Describe the taxation of Canadian source pension and social security benefits under U.S. tax rules
- Explain the eligibility requirements for receiving U.S. Medicare
|Question Format||Multiple Choice|
|Questions Per Quiz||N/A|
|Enrolment Period||6 months|
* IMPORTANT: There is no maximum to the number of quiz attempts permitted, but only the first passing grade (60% or over) will appear on official web transcript.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Click the links below or the buttons at the top of the page on the right side to access CE accreditation information. To search for specific course information, press Ctrl + F and then enter the course name to search the document for the information you are interested in.
National/Provincial (Excluding Quebec)
Download CE Chart (PDF, 163 kb)
Download IQPF/CSF Chart (PDF, 182 kb)
Please note: While CSI makes every effort to ensure that the information is up-to-date, we are unfortunately unable to fully guarantee its accuracy. The information listed in the charts above may be subject to change.
For details on the organizations and other information on CE Credits listed in the above charts, please click here.
This course is now eligible for CFA CE credits. CFA – Confirmation of CE Activities (PDF)