Lesson 1: What is Suitability (or the Suitability Rule?)
- Define suitability
- Identify regulatory and legal responsibilities governing suitability
- Understand how suitability expectations have and continue to evolve
- Differentiate between suitability responsibilities arising from solicited versus unsolicited orders
- Describe the differences between suitability responsibilities and fiduciary obligations
- Describe the importance of suitability as it relates to clients, the public, regulators, the courts and other interested parties
Lesson 2: Suitability and the Know Your Client Rule
- Define the KYC Rule and describe how it relates to the ‘know your product’ and Suitability rules
- Describe why KYC is not limited to suitability
- Describe how suitability factors into account type and general investment determinations
- Understand the regulatory and legal standards for collecting and updating KYC information
Lesson 3: How do General Suitability Requirements Align with Investment Objectives, Risk Tolerance, and Time Horizon
- Identify key considerations when establishing a client’s investment objectives, risk tolerance and time horizon
- Describe the regulatory requirements applicable to investment objectives, risk tolerance and time horizon
- Understand the distinction between client and account level KYC information
- List the various means to categorize and explain investment risk and related considerations
|Course Format||Online interactive content with online PDF text book.|
|Question Format||Multiple Choice|
|Questions Per Quiz||25|
|Enrolment Period||6 months|
* IMPORTANT: There is no maximum to the number of quiz attempts permitted, but only the first passing grade (60% or over) will appear on official web transcript.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Click the links below or the buttons at the top of the page on the right side to access CE accreditation information. To search for specific course information, press Ctrl + F and then enter the course name to search the document for the information you are interested in.
National/Provincial (Excluding Quebec)
Download CE Chart (PDF, 163 kb)
Download IQPF/CSF Chart (PDF, 182 kb)
Please note: While CSI makes every effort to ensure that the information is up-to-date, we are unfortunately unable to fully guarantee its accuracy. The information listed in the charts above may be subject to change.
For details on the organizations and other information on CE Credits listed in the above charts, please click here.