Most people look forward to retirement. But when the day finally comes, many discover they are not so well prepared financially. This course focuses on being organized in retirement, on how to retire efficiently from a business and/or partnership and on tax planning strategies. As a financial professional, you will gain a better understanding of your clients' options for accessing their money in retirement. A detailed outline illustrating how they can keep more of their old age security benefits is discussed, along with ways to integrate retirement planning with estate planning.
Lesson 1: Retirement Preparations
- Financial Management During Retirement
- Getting Organized for Retirement
- Investment Policy Statement
- Emotional Issues Surrounding Retirement
- There is No "Perfect" Plan
- Planning for Mental Incapacity
- Retirement Income Projection
Lesson 2: Pension Plan And Taxes
- Retiring From a Business
- Retiring From a Partnership
- Should a Client Opt Out of a Company Pension Plan?
- Opting Out Of a DCP Or Group RRSP
- Opting Out Of a DBP
- Opting Out From the Client's Perspective
- Reviewing the Facts With a Client
- Tax Planning Strategies Available in Retirement
- Build a Tax Effective Portfolio
- Tax Loss Selling
- File Quarterly Tax Installments
- Client's Lifetime Tax Bill
- Split CPP Benefits
- Pension Income Tax Credit
- Use Younger Spouse on RRIF
- Charitable Giving
Lesson 3: Cash Management
- Maturing Your RRSPs and Converting to Income
- Three Maturity Options tor an RRSP
- Cash Withdrawal
- Convert to a RRIF
- Purchase an Annuity
- Factors Affecting a Payment
- Fixed Term (or Term-Certain) Annuities
- Split Annuity Program
- LIF'S and LIRA's
- Strategies to Help Clients Keep More of Their OAS
- Integrating Retirement Planning with Estate Planning
|Question Format||Multiple Choice|
|Questions Per Quiz||20|
|Enrolment Period||6 months|
* IMPORTANT: There is no maximum to the number of quiz attempts permitted, but only the first passing grade (60% or over) will appear on official web transcript.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Click the links below to access CE accreditation information. To search for specific course information, press Ctrl + F and then enter the course name to search the document for the information you are interested in.
National/Provincial (Excluding Quebec)
Download CE Chart (PDF, 163 kb)
Download IQPF/CSF Chart (PDF, 182 kb)
Please note: While CSI makes every effort to ensure that the information is up-to-date, we are unfortunately unable to fully guarantee its accuracy. The information listed in the charts above may be subject to change.
For details on the organizations and other information on CE Credits listed in the above charts, please click here.