The Financial Planning Standards Council of Canada (FPSC) requires that individuals taking an FPSC Approved Capstone Course for the purposes of eligibility to write the CFP® examination, must have completed pre-requisite courses that cover the basic knowledge and competencies in the six financial planning component areas outlined in the CFP® Professional Competency Profile: financial management, asset management, risk management, tax planning, retirement planning and estate planning.
The minimum course combinations within the current approved CSI educational routes to CFP® Certification that meet this pre-requisite requirement are CSC®, FP I, and FP2 or IFC, FP I, and FP2 or CSC, FOFP, BMAP, and FPS or IFC, FOFP, BMAP, and FPS or CSC, WME, and FPS.
Please ensure that you have met these pre-requisites prior to registering for the CSI Capstone Course for CFP® Certification. If you complete the Capstone Course and have not met these pre-requisites the FPSC will not accept your completion for eligibility to write the CFP examination. If you have taken pre-requisite courses from another provider, please check with the provider or the FPSC to determine if you have met this pre-requisite requirement before applying for the CSI Capstone Course for CFP® Certification.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure they have met these pre-requisite requirements, as set out on the FPSC website. If you are taking the CSI Capstone Course for CFP® Certification for continuing education or as a refresher course, the pre-requisite courses are recommended, but not required.
Who Should Enrol
Anyone who meets the FPSC eligibility criteria may enrol, but we encourage individuals to self-assess against the FPSC CFP® Professional Competency Profile. Candidates are better positioned to challenge CSI’s Capstone Course if they:
- Are proficient in financial planning for individuals; or,
- Offer financial planning services for some clients; or,
- Are on the career path or currently practice as a financial planner; or,
- Understand and are able to apply the financial planning competencies as set out in the CFP® Professional Competency Profile.
Although not a requirement to attempt the CSI Capstone Course, candidates should recognize that experience serving clients in personal financial planning situations may prove beneficial when creating and submitting their financial plans. Candidates should carefully self-assess to determine if they possess the skills necessary for success on the CSI Capstone Course and if their success could be enhanced by experience in the field.
As with other CSI courses, the CSI Capstone Course is done by distance education. Candidates are provided the online tools they need to create a successful financial plan. CSI offers no in class instruction with this course and marker feedback provided on the draft plan is intended to highlight areas which do not meet the FPSC standards.
Important Information From FPSC
Candidates must attempt the CFP Examination within four years of completing CSI Capstone Course for CFP® certification, without exception. FPSC conducts this examination twice a year; in June and November. Please check the FPSC website for exact dates and plan your studies / course work accordingly.
Students enrolled in a CSI education stream leading to CFP® certification are eligible for free access to a new online service offered by Financial Planning Standards Council (FPSC).
The FPSC Study Toolkit offers access to exclusive content and interactive tools to help in the process of learning and gaining necessary work experience on the path to CFP certification.
- Free Exam Preparation Webinar: FPSC’s examinations team will guide you through what you need to know about the exam, providing first-hand answers on the essential tips you need to know for success in the exam, what you can expect on exam day and how you can make the most of your study time.
- Sample Exam Questions: Click on the “Resources” on your FPSC Portal to review more than 50 multiple-choice questions as well as a case study. Each question includes the correct response and rationale to help you understand why it’s the right answer.
- Software Tutorial: Familiarize yourself with how the exam software will work by using our software tutorial.
Students can access the online resources directly by creating an account though the FPSC website. Candidates can register for online resources at: http://www.beafinancialplanner.ca/. Once an account is created, they can access the FPSC Study Toolkit.
If you have any questions, please contact FPSC by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important information regarding the completion of CSI's Capstone Course
Candidates enrolled in CSI’s Capstone Course should review / follow the guidelines outlined below:
- Review the FAQ’s available in the online course
- Review the FPSC Policies and Guidelines for Obtaining and Maintaining CFP® Certification and FPSC Level 1® Certification in Financial Planning.
- Review the Case Scenario (meeting with a Financial Planner), Learning Guide, Exemplar and Sample Case provided with the online course.
- Candidates must commence with the Course Assessment, prior to attempting the mini cases and draft and final comprehensive plan. Candidates should treat the draft & final plan as they would with a client’s case submission.
- The feedback provided with the draft plan is intended to highlight areas in the plan where the candidate has not fully met the outlined FPSC guidelines.
- Feedback is not provided on the final plan.