Upon completion of the CSI Capstone course for CFP® Certification, you should be able to:
- Address issues across a wide range of financial planning components.
- Integrate the financial planning components and clearly prioritize the components that are most relevant, given the client's position in their life cycle.
- Demonstrate the fundamental financial planning competencies.
- Make recommendations supported by appropriate analysis and synthesis.
- Demonstrate appropriate professional skills when creating and presenting financial plans.
- Communicate a completed comprehensive financial plan clearly and professionally.
As you approach the cases, keep these learning objectives in mind. they will guide you and remind you of what is expected. Draw on all your prior learning and experience as you proceed through the financial process.
Additional Learning Objectives:
- Demonstrate ethical judgemement in providing professional services.
- Asses the impact of the economic, political and regulatory environment on financial situations.
- Demonstrate logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternatives or approaches to problems.
- Adhere to the FPSC's CFP Code of Ethics and the CFP Financial Planning Practice Standards as they apply to the financial planning process.
Included with your Enrolment:
The CSI Capstone Course for CFP® Certification materials are comprised of:
- An exemplar case and financial plan
- A Learning Guide (outlining all the details of the course, assessment and instructions on financial plan submissions)
The final grade for this course consists of three parts. The course assessment makes up 25%. The financial plan makes up 75% of the final grade (draft plan 30%, final submission 45%).
Financial Plan Submission Guidelines
Please Note: The recommended order of completion is:
Review Course Content & Complete Course Assessment
Review Exemplar Financial Plan
Choose a case
- Case #1: Young Couple Planning a Family
- Case #2: Dad Facing Retirement and Other Big Decisions
- Case #3: Philanthropic Retiree Arranging Her Affairs
- Case #4: Buried In Debt: The Sam and Sara Knight Story
Prepare and submit Draft (treat draft as final to get maximum benefit)
Prepare and submit Final Plan (subsequent to receiving draft feedback)
At the end of the exemplar case and financial plan, candidates will be presented with an assessment comprised of multiple choice and true-or-false questions. The assessment will test their knowledge of financial planning issues and evaluation skills in making financial planning recommendations. At the end of the assessment, candidates will receive a comprehensive financial plan created for Steve Valente and Suzane Russell.
Candidates should review the Steve Valente and Suzane Russell financial plan thoroughly and use this financial plan as a guideline to creating their draft and final financial plan submission.
Choose one of the 3 cases which can be purchased from the FPSC
At this time we are not accepting financial plans based on the new case:
Candidates must submit an initial draft of the financial plan for feedback and marking. This first draft will account for 30% of the final mark. Financial plan feedback and mark will be received from the marker approximately 21 business days after the submission date.
After receiving the first draft with feedback, candidates must submit a final version of the financial plan to be marked. This final submission will make up 45% of the final mark.
The financial plan will be returned by the marker approximately 21 business days after the final submission date.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will receive a Financial Plan Performance Summary. Candidates will not receive feedback on the final plan submission.
FPSC Exam Schedule & CSI Submission Deadlines
The FPSC holds the FPE2 Exams twice in the year. CSI recommends checking the FPSC website at www.fpsc.ca for deadlines with regard to registration dates.
CSI offers candidates a one year enrollment period in which to complete their CSI Capstone Course. The Capstone course may be completed anytime within the one year enrollment period however given that feedback can take up to 21 business days CSI strongly recommends that candidates complete all their requirements at least 2 months prior to the FPSC registration date.
CSI does not offer extensions on the Capstone Course enrollment.
|CSI Capstone Draft and Final Submission Weightage|
|Capstone||Course Assessement||1st Submission weighting||2nd Submission weighting|
* In order to pass the CSI Capstone, students must get a minimum 60% on their final plan and must also achieve 60% overall to successfully complete the course.
If candidates receive a failing grade for the final submission
- Candidates must purchase a case resubmission
- ANY resubmitted financial plan must be based on a different case study
- Candidates will be given a maximum of one attempt within the one-year enrolment to resubmit a financial plan
|Number of Assessments||1|
|Completion Time Allowed||1.5 hours|
|Question Format||Multiple Choice and True/False|
|Final Grade Weighting||25%|
|Enrolment Period||1 year (no extensions)|
- Non-electronic course materials will ship within 5 business days of purchase.
- Electronic course materials will be available immediately upon purchase.
- Shipping costs vary by location & will be displayed on the final screen of check out.
- Shipping and handling fees will apply to all orders that include textbooks.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Click the links below or the buttons at the top of the page on the right side to access CE accreditation information. To search for specific course information, press Ctrl + F and then enter the course name to search the document for the information you are interested in.
National/Provincial (Excluding Quebec)
Download CE Chart (PDF, 163 kb)
Download IQPF/CSF Chart (PDF, 182 kb)
Please note: While CSI makes every effort to ensure that the information is up-to-date, we are unfortunately unable to fully guarantee its accuracy. The information listed in the charts above may be subject to change.
For details on the organizations and other information on CE Credits listed in the above charts, please click here.