Building High Net Worth will take your business from tactical to strategic - based on an in-depth understanding of your high net worth clients and their priorities, as well as the specialized vehicles, techniques and services that wealth makes available to them.
You'll learn how to glean the unprecedented level of client knowledge and insight necessary to map out a customized wealth management plan that addresses the changes in a high net worth client's needs and expectations as you work together over the long term, up to retirement.
Building High Net Worth course is a core component of the:
More than an investment counselor, you will become a trusted financial consultant for the personal affairs of the wealthy.
- Apply the life-stages approach to client relationships built on a comprehensive knowledge of the complexities of your client’s life, including personal transitions such as marital and family changes, shifts in career and business, windfalls, succession, and so on.
- Develop an unprecedented degree of insight into the personal priorities and behaviours of your clients, including age-related shifts in circumstances and needs, which will make these relationships long-term.
- Identify and prioritize risk for high net worth clients– not only investment risk but also in other areas of your client’s life, such as career stage, property, business, legal, family, health, personal risk and care.
- Gain comprehensive knowledge of the specialized accumulation vehicles available to this level of client that will position you to coordinate other specialized services, such as Individual Pension Plans (IPPs), trusts, small business structuring and holding companies.
- Gain an understanding of, and experience with, specialized investment products as a means of protection against market volatility for high net worth clients, such as Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs).
- Receive advanced instruction in the detailed use of options as a strategy for minimizing risk in large, sophisticated portfolios.
- Only CSI offers formal instruction in an emerging financial strategy of special importance to this level of clientele: Time Value Fluctuation. This is a formalized structure addressing the need for sophisticated and focused asset management in preparation for retirement.
How you'll learn
CSI offers a variety of options to help you learn at your own pace. Study online, by textbook or using a combination of both.
Measure your progress
- Pre-chapter learning objectives and goals to prepare your thoughts and focus your efforts
- Interactive learning tools to crystallize the wealth management principles you are learning
- Audio coaching podcasts featuring wealth management experts
- Online question and answer forums
- Online access to all textbook materials, arranged chapter-by-chapter
- Self-assessment tools after every chapter to reinforce mastery of the material
- Printer-friendly reference sheets of key materials for day-to-day use
|Approximate Hours of Study**|
|Hours of Study||100 - 145 hours|
** In order to provide some guidance to course participants as to the length of time it will take to be sufficiently prepared to write the final examination, CSI has prepared this estimate of the number of hours an average participant could possibly expect to spend studying for a course. Please note that these are only recommended hours of study developed based on research and our course content, however, this does not mean that some students with exceptional backgrounds would not take less time than recommended or that students with no background at all in finance or economics would not take longer than the maximum.
(weightings are approximate)
|The Canadian Wealth Accumulation Market||4%|
|Wealth Accumulation, Discovery And Marketing||10%|
|Vehicles For Wealth Accumulation||6.5%|
|Portfolio Management Process||8.5%|
|Analysis Of Alternative Investment Products And Portfolio Solutions Fundamentals||11%|
|Impediments To Wealth Accumulation||10%|
|Personal Risk Management Process||7%|
|Understand Client's Risk Tolerance||6%|
|Identification And Measurement Of Risk||15.5%|
|Protecting Clients Investments, Small Business And Family Wealth||21.5%|
|Exam Format||Paper Based|
|Exam Length||3 Hours|
|Question Format||Multiple Choice|
|Questions Per Exam||150|
|Attempts Allowed Per Exam||3*|
|Passing Grade||60% (Per Exam)|
|Enrolment Period||1 year†|
*There is no charge for your first attempt at a paper-based exam within Canada, as long as it's at a regular exam center and you provide a minimum of 14 days notice before the date that you want to write the exam. If you would like to write a computer-based exam, an additional fee will be required.
Each subsequent paper-based exam attempt at a regular exam centre within Canada will also require an additional fee. This fee is in addition to any special, computer-based or international fees that may apply. You must provide a minimum of 14 days notice within Canada at a regular exam centre and 4 weeks notice for all other centres. Please note that the date of the exam is not part of any notice period.
†Please note: Access to your online materials will close 2 weeks after successful course completion or course expiry (whichever comes first). This course can be extended by 1 year provided you have not exceeded the attempts allowed for each exam. You can view CSI extension fees here. Your enrolment period can only be extended one time.
Important: During a student's enrolment period, CSI may update this course. In that case, details about the update and how it may affect students will be posted online via My CSI. Students are held responsible for and are examinable on the content in the course textbook(s) provided at the time of enrollment unless stated otherwise in My CSI. Students are encouraged to check My CSI regularly throughout their enrolment period.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Click the links below to access CE accreditation information. To search for specific course information, press Ctrl + F and then enter the course name to search the document for the information you are interested in.
National/Provincial (Excluding Quebec)
Download CE Chart (PDF, 163 kb)
Download IQPF/CSF Chart (PDF, 182 kb)
Please note: While CSI makes every effort to ensure that the information is up-to-date, we are unfortunately unable to fully guarantee its accuracy. The information listed in the charts above may be subject to change.
For details on the organizations and other information on CE Credits listed in the above charts, please click here.
SHIPPING & HANDLING
- Printed course materials will ship within 5-10 business days of purchase
- Electronic course materials will be available immediately upon purchase
- Shipping costs vary by location & will be displayed on the final screen of check out
- Shipping and handling fees will apply to all orders that include printed course materials.
Corporate discounts may apply. Please be sure to identify your employer during the enrollment process or contact your human resources or training department to determine eligibility. Discounts will be applied during the enrolment process.