The Essential Financial Services Credential
Take the first step towards meeting and exceeding your career goals. Recognized as the industry benchmark, the Canadian Securities Course (CSC®) delivers the financial training employers demand.
- Take the first step toward your investment representative or registered representative license.
- Fulfill the base securities licensing requirement for IIROC and the provincial regulatory and MFDA licensing requirements for mutual funds sales, managed future funds/commodity pools, exempt securities and labour-sponsored investment funds.
Who Should Enrol
Enrol in the CSC if you're:
- Training to become a full-service registered representative, discount broker or an investment representative
- Seeking your mutual funds license
- Seeking your exempt market representative license
- A bank or trust company officer
- A financial planner
- An active investor who wants to learn how to manage your portfolio
- Seeking a position in the Canadian financial services industry
Learn how you can extend your CSC validity period with IIROC's Voluntary Participation Program.
The Basics For Success
Learn to make sense of a complex financial world. You'll gain the knowledge you need to make smart investment decisions, become a confident advisor and build a solid foundation for your career.
- The Canadian securities industry and the regulatory environment
- Market and economic events impacting investment performance
- Understanding and analyzing corporate financial statements
- Financial instruments: fixed income, equities, managed products, structured products, fee based accounts and derivatives
- Company, industry and market performance/analysis
- The portfolio management process and asset allocation
- Setting financial goals, the financial planning process and taxation
- Industry standards of conduct and the code of ethics
- The institutional marketplace
How you'll learn
CSI offers a variety of options to help you learn at your own pace. Study online, by textbook or using a combination of both.
Measure your progress
CSI's online learning system helps you meet, and even exceed, your study goals. You'll benefit from:
- Learning objectives and goals that keep you focused
- Interactive tools to help you evaluate and apply course material
- Post-chapter tests to assess your progress
- Course updates
- A customizable calendar
- Online discussion forums and assistance from CSI's academic support specialists
- Six Online Audio Podcasts
- Each audio podcasts (10 to 15 minutes in length) walks students through different scenarios and examples in an easy to understand manner to reinforce learning. The topic specific podcasts focus on the basics, clarifying the terminology, and reinforcing concepts by regularly summarizing the material. Podcasts can be easily listened to on a PC or portable media players (iPod, MP3 players, Smartphones).
|Approximate Hours of Study**|
|Hours of Study||135 - 200 hours|
** In order to provide some guidance to course participants as to the length of time it will take to be sufficiently prepared to write the final examination, CSI has prepared this estimate of the number of hours an average participant could possibly expect to spend studying for a course. Please note that these are only recommended hours of study developed based on research and our course content, however, this does not mean that some students with exceptional backgrounds would not take less time than recommended or that students with no background at all in finance or economics would not take longer than the maximum.
(weightings are approximate)
|The Canadian Investment Marketplace||16%|
|Features and Types of Fixed-Income Securities||12%|
|Pricing and Trading of Fixed-Income Securities||11%|
|Common and Preferred Shares||13%|
|Financing and Listing Securities||7%|
|Corporations and their Financial Statements||8%|
|Fundamental and Technical Analysis||12%|
|Introduction to the Portfolio Approach||12%|
|The Portfolio Management Process||10%|
|Segregated and Hedge Funds||7%|
|Other Managed and Structured Products||15%|
|Working with the Retail Client||5%|
|Working with the Institutional Client||10%|
|Exam Format||Paper Or Computer Based|
|Exam Length||2 Hours|
|Question Format||Multiple Choice|
|Questions Per Exam||100|
|Attempts Allowed Per Exam||3*|
|Passing Grade||60% (Per Exam)|
|Enrolment Period||1 year†|
|COURSE COMPLETION NOTICE AND WALL CERTIFICATE|
On successful completion of this course you will be able to download a Notice of Course Completion available through your student profile. This will remain on your profile as formal indication of course completion.
CSI will mail you a wall certificate within 4 - 6 weeks of course completion. Frames to display your certificate are available. Please ensure that your First and Last Name on your profile match your First and Last Name on your Government Issued Photo identification - this will ensure you receive an accurate certificate.
CSI will be pleased to issue an Honors Certificate to all student who obtain a final course mark of 85% or higher.
*There is no charge for your first attempt at a paper-based exam within Canada, as long as it's at a regular exam center and you provide a minimum of 14 days notice before the date that you want to write the exam. If you would like to write a computer-based exam, an additional fee will be required.
Each subsequent paper-based exam attempt at a regular exam centre within Canada will also require an additional fee. This fee is in addition to any special, computer-based or international fees that may apply. You must provide a minimum of 14 days notice within Canada at a regular exam centre and 4 weeks notice for all other centres. Please note that the date of the exam is not part of any notice period.
†Please note: Access to your online materials will close 2 weeks after successful course completion or course expiry (whichever comes first). This course can be extended by 1 year provided you have not exceeded the attempts allowed for each exam. You can view CSI extension fees here. Your enrolment period can only be extended one time.
Important: During a student's enrolment period, CSI may update this course. In that case, details about the update and how it may affect students will be posted online via My CSI. Students are held responsible for and are examinable on the content in the course textbook(s) provided at the time of enrollment unless stated otherwise in My CSI. Students are encouraged to check My CSI regularly throughout their enrolment period.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Click the links below or the buttons at the top of the page on the right side to access CE accreditation information. To search for specific course information, press Ctrl + F and then enter the course name to search the document for the information you are interested in.
National/Provincial (Excluding Quebec)
Download CE Chart (PDF, 163 kb)
Download IQPF/CSF Chart (PDF, 182 kb)
Please note: While CSI makes every effort to ensure that the information is up-to-date, we are unfortunately unable to fully guarantee its accuracy. The information listed in the charts above may be subject to change.
More detailed information on CE Credits are available