- Take a Step Towards Your DMS
- The ERM is a qualifying elective toward earning your Derivatives Market Specialist designation. If you have completed the ERM course or are currently enrolled in the course and complete by September 30, 2010, your course completion will qualify towards earning the DMS designation.
- Gain an understanding of oil, natural gas and electricity markets and the participants in these industries
- See how supply and demand factors influence energy prices
- Learn how energy derivatives are priced
- Anticipate issues associated with energy market deregulation
- Understand how to use energy derivative instruments to mitigate risk
This course is not mandatory for licensing purposes. It is an elective course in CSI's Derivatives Program, leading to the Derivatives Market Specialist (DMS) designation.
- Energy Markets Risk Management textbook with chapter summaries
- Downloadable practice exam questions with text references
- Energy Markets Risk Management Course Information Card outlining course assessment, exam format and coverage and procedures to obtain academic help
- Academic support with access to CSI faculty and academic support specialists
- Online course updates
|Approximate Hours of Study**|
|Hours of Study||55 - 70 hours|
** In order to provide some guidance to course participants as to the length of time it will take to be sufficiently prepared to write the final examination, CSI has prepared this estimate of the number of hours an average participant could possibly expect to spend studying for a course. Please note that these are only recommended hours of study developed based on research and our course content, however, this does not mean that some students with exceptional backgrounds would not take less time than recommended or that students with no background at all in finance or economics would not take longer than the maximum.
|Crude Oil Industry Overview||10%|
|Crude Oil Risk Management||25%|
|Natural Gas Industry Overview||10%|
|Natural Gas Risk Management||25%|
|Electricity Industry Overview||15%|
|Electricity Risk Management||15%|
|Exam Format||Paper Based|
|Exam Length||2 Hours|
|Question Format||Multiple Choice|
|Questions Per Exam||75|
|Attempts Allowed Per Exam||3*|
|Passing Grade||60% (Per Exam)|
|Enrolment Period||1 year†|
*First attempts for paper based exams are included in the cost of your course. Additional attempts cost $165 per exam. Computer based exams (for applicable courses) cost $50 for a first attempt and $215 for all additional attempts and are currently in available in Toronto and Montreal.
†Please note: Access to your online materials will close 2 weeks after successful course completion or course expiry (whichever comes first). This course can be extended by 1 year provided you have not exceeded the attempts allowed for each exam. You can view CSI extension fees here. Your enrolment period can only be extended one time.
Important: During a student's enrolment period, CSI may update this course. In that case, details about the update and how it may affect students will be posted online via My CSI. Students are held responsible for and are examinable on the content in the course textbook(s) provided at the time of enrollment unless stated otherwise in My CSI. Students are encouraged to check My CSI regularly throughout their enrolment period.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Click the links below to access CE accreditation information. To search for specific course information, press Ctrl + F and then enter the course name to search the document for the information you are interested in.
National/Provincial (Excluding Quebec)
Download CE Chart (PDF, 163 kb)
Download IQPF/CSF Chart (PDF, 182 kb)
Please note: While CSI makes every effort to ensure that the information is up-to-date, we are unfortunately unable to fully guarantee its accuracy. The information listed in the charts above may be subject to change.
For details on the organizations and other information on CE Credits listed in the above charts, please click here.
SHIPPING & HANDLING
- Printed course materials will ship within 5-10 business days of purchase
- Electronic course materials will be available immediately upon purchase
- Shipping costs vary by location & will be displayed on the final screen of check out
- Shipping and handling fees will apply to all orders that include printed course materials.
Corporate discounts may apply. Please be sure to identify your employer during the enrollment process or contact your human resources or training department to determine eligibility. Discounts will be applied during the enrolment process.