CSI's Investment Representative Training Program fulfills the general knowledge requirements of IIROC's 30-day training program for new investment representatives and can be used to complement your firm's internal training program.
Theory and practice covered by the Investment Representative Training Program includes:
- Investment representatives roles and responsibilities
- Capital markets and trading mechanics
- Equity, fixed-income, and managed product operations
- Stock exchange trading rules
- Account operations and transactions
IRT is offered as an online course and includes self administered quizzes to help assess your understanding of the program materials. A final online test is also included - Note that course assessment is an employer responsibility.
Module 1: Overview of Capital Markets
- Lesson 1: Capital Markets Refresher
- Lesson 2: Stock Exchange Trading Rules
- Lesson 3: Equity Trader Roles and Duties
- Lesson 4: Mechanics of Trading on the Fixed Income Markets
- Lesson 5: Realities of a Multi-Market Universe
Module 2: The Role and Responsibilities of the Investment Representative: Discount Broker and Sales Assistant
- Lesson 1: The Discount Brokerage Industry
- Lesson 2: Permissible Activities of Investment Representatives
- Lesson 3: Integrity of the Investment Representative
- Lesson 4: Safeguarding Market Integrity
Module 3: Opening and Maintaining Accounts
- Lesson 1: Account Opening Procedures and Documentation
- Lesson 2: Cash and Margin Account Rules
- Lesson 3: Account Operations
- Lesson 4: Communicating Trading Information to Customers
Module 4: Transactions
- Lesson 1: Giving Quotes and Trading Information
- Lesson 2: Equity Operations
- Lesson 3: Fixed-Income Operations
- Lesson 4: Managed Product Operations
- Lesson 5: Back Office Trade Operations
|Question Format||Multiple Choice|
|Questions Per Quiz||30 questions|
|Enrolment Period||6 months|
†This course can be extended by 6 months for a fee of $120. You can view CSI extension fees here. Your enrolment period can only be extended one time.
Important: During a student's enrolment period, CSI may update this course. In that case, details about the update and how it may affect students will be posted online via My CSI. Students are held responsible for and are examinable on the content in the course textbook(s) provided at the time of enrollment unless stated otherwise in My CSI. Students are encouraged to check My CSI regularly throughout their enrolment period.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Click the links below or the buttons at the top of the page on the right side to access CE accreditation information. To search for specific course information, press Ctrl + F and then enter the course name to search the document for the information you are interested in.
National/Provincial (Excluding Quebec)
Download CE Chart (PDF, 163 kb)
Download IQPF/CSF Chart (PDF, 182 kb)
Please note: While CSI makes every effort to ensure that the information is up-to-date, we are unfortunately unable to fully guarantee its accuracy. The information listed in the charts above may be subject to change.
For details on the organizations and other information on CE Credits listed in the above charts, please click here.