This is an exciting time to become a discretionary money manager in light of the growing demand for wealth and investment management services. CSI has created two unique education streams that lead to the Chartered Investment Manager (CIM®) designation helping you meet the regulatory requirements to be able to provide discretionary portfolio management in Canada.`
Achieving and maintaining the CIM® designation earns you credibility in the eyes of clients, peers, employers and regulators. It demonstrates your proficiency and adherence to professional standards that enables you to become registered with your provincial securities commission as a Portfolio Manager, Advising Representative or an Associate Advising Representative or to be able to conduct discretionary portfolio management services for clients with an IIROC member firm.
- Buying for a Team? Click Here
Who Should Enrol
- Registered Representatives/Investment Advisors
- Those who aspire to work in portfolio management
- Those looking to enhance their careers in portfolio management
- Research Analysts
- Product Specialists And Managers
- Investment Strategists
- Senior Equity and Fixed Income Traders
- Mutual Funds Wholesalers
- Other financial professionals who require an in-depth understanding of portfolio management
Benefits of completing the CIM®:
- Build expertise to provide money management services to high-net-worth and institutional clients.
- Understand the application of portfolio management in the context of Canadian markets and regulatory requirements.
- Identify clients' objectives and constraints.
- Develop appropriate investment policies and strategies, taking into consideration market and economic conditions.
- Evaluate investment products that represent both traditional and alternative asset classes.
- Implement policies and strategies through portfolio construction.
- Measure and evaluate portfolio performance.
- As completion of the Investment Management Techniques (IMT) course is equivalent to the Advanced Investment Strategies (AIS) course, you will earn a credit towards completion of CSI's CSWP® designation.
LICENSING & REGISTRATION
- Successful completion of the courses required for the CIM® designation allows Registered Representatives (RRs) from Investment Industry Regulatory Organization (IIROC) member firms to provide discretionary investment management for clients. (No Futures).
- Financial professionals who hold the CIM® designation are eligible for registration as a Portfolio Manager, Advising Representative or an Associate Advising Representative with their provincial securities commission*
- Qualified graduates may be eligible to apply for CSI's highest honour -- the prestigious Fellow of CSI (FCSI) designation.
* Work experience requirement are also applied.
The CIM education program is designed to provide you with the flexibility to control your career direction and path, through Web-based self-study courses and interactive learning resources. You set the pace for curriculum study and exam assessments. Exams are offered in many locations and on a frequent basis.
The following are required to earn your Chartered Investment Manager (CIM® ):
IMPORTANT: In addition to the Investment Management Techniques course, individuals seeking the Certificate in Advanced Investment Advice must complete one of the following: Professional Financial Planning Course or Personal Financial Planner® or Certified Financial Planner® designations. Please note the PFPC® , PFP® and CFP® are NOT required for the CIM® designation, only for the Certificate in Advanced Investment Advice.
* The Certificate in Advanced Investment Advice is not required to attain the CIM® designation.
To be eligible for the CIM® designation you must have at least 2 years of experience within the past 5 years involved in an investment management capacity that includes applying or supervising any aspect of the investment management process.
NOTICE: 5-YEAR RULE
Individuals must apply for the designation within 5 years of successfully completing the PMT Examination. Individuals who do not qualify for the designation within this 5 year period will be required to re-take the PMT course and examination prior to being granted the designation.
CSI has developed options to help you earn credentials for the CIM designation.
Enrol by Program
To help you get closer to achieving your CIM* designation,
we've packaged some courses together to offer you the
Enrol by Program option. The Program is designed to give you
flexibility and cost savings while working towards your CIM designation.
All courses include a hard-copy textbook(s), where applicable.
The Enrol by Program option is a convenient and cost-effective way to work towards your CIM designation. When you purchase your Program, your student account will be credited with a voucher for each course in the Program. When you're ready to enrol in a course, all you have to do is log into your student account and redeem your voucher online!
* In addition to completing the required courses, you must also have 2 years of relevant work experience to earn the CIM designation. Some required courses and/or examinations for the CIM designation may not be included in the Enrol by Program option. Please review the CIM designation requirements here.
** Subject to change.
*** Please note that if you have enrolled in or completed a course that is included in the Enrol by Program option, you are unable to purchase the Program.
*Prior to submitting your application, please be sure that you understand the eligibility requirements.