WHAT ARE THE MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS?
To represent yourself an as active MTI® in good standing - and to uphold the prestige of your letters - you must renew your designation annually.
All MTI®s must renew their designation by their anniversary date (the date the designation was originally granted). You will receive reminders 4 weeks and 1 week prior to your deadline.
YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- The world we work and live in is constantly evolving. As a financial advisor it's critical that you commit to lifelong learning and have a handle on the trends and issues that affect your industry - and, most importantly, your clients.
- Each MTI® is required to earn 12 continuing education (CE) hours per calendar year, starting the first full year after your earn your designation.
- CE content must fall within a competency associated with the MTI® designation.
- Code of Ethics
- MTI®s must re-commit to the MTI® Code of Ethics each year.
- To continue using the MTI® trademarks in your own marketing, MTI®s must re-commit to the Certification Mark Licence Agreement each year.
- MTI®s are required to pay a non-refundable licence fee of $325 each year. The licence fee goes towards your trademark rights and benefits from CSI.
AUDITING PROCESS - CONTINUING EDUCATION
CSI will conduct periodic audits of MTI®s upon renewal of their designation to assess compliance with continuing education (CE) requirements.. Designation holders must retain supporting documents to confirm completion of CE credits.
- MTI®s selected for audit purposes will be sent a letter of notification
- They will be asked to submit documents to verify the CE hours they have indicated on their designation renewal form
- They will have 60 days to comply with the audit request
Failure to comply with the request may result in the designation holder being declared "not in good standing." This means they will no longer be able to use the MTI® trademarks.
Misstated or fraudulent reporting of CE credits will be reported to the Designation Ethics Committee as a violation of the MTI® Code of Ethics and will be considered according to the Ethical Misconduct Process.
Tools and Resources
Qualifying Activity Providers
Courses can be taken from CSI or other external providers (e.g., community colleges, universities, other professional education providers or in-house at your employer). It is up to you/your employer to determine if a course meets CSI's MTI® CE Guidelines.
Activity & Hours Tracking
Make sure you retain supporting documents to confirm completion of CE credits. Each year, a percentage of MTI®s will be audited to verify the CE hours claimed on their designation renewal applications.
IF YOU DO NOT RENEW
WHAT IS THE REINSTATEMENT POLICY?
MTI®s are given the opportunity to reactivate their licence after a lapse of up to 5 years. If your designation has lapsed for more than 5 years, you'll be required to re-take and successfully complete the Case Application Examination and meet the work experience requirement.
If the lapse is 5 years or less, you can reactivate by completing the following steps:
- Prove CE requirements have been met by submitting supporting documentation.
- Pay a $50 late fee, a re-instatement fee of $325 and the standard annual renewal fee of $325
- Agree to the MTI® Code of Ethics and Certification Mark Licence Agreement