MTI ® REQUIREMENTS
Education : The MTI® requires applicants to complete an approved learning path and certification exam, offered exclusively through the Canadian Securities Institute.
Experience : MTI® applicants must have at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
Code of Ethics : When applying for the MTI® you must commit to the MTI® Code of Ethics.
Trademarks : You are also required to agree to the terms of Certification Mark Licence Agreement,
which grants you the right to use the MTI® trademarks in your own marketing.
Application/Licence : The initial application fee is $275 and includes your licence fee for the year.
To qualify for the MTI® designation, you must meet the following work experience requirements:
- Minimum 3 years of experience within the past 5 years in an estate and trust role
- Work experience evaluation is composed of 6 core competencies and 23 elements of competency
- You must have performed at least 19 of the 23 MTI® elements of competency at a satisfactory level to be considered for the designation
- Up to 2 years of work experience outside of Canada can be applied, as long as it meets the requirements
- Use the MTI® Work Experience Declaration - Assessment Tool to find out if your experience qualifies
VERIFYING YOUR EXPERIENCE
As part of the application process, work experience will be verified and audited. Applicants will be asked to provide the name of the verifying individual on their application form.
- Individuals who can verify experience should be a current or recent employer/supervisor
- Self-employed individuals must provide verification from a previous employer or a close peer who holds a financial services designation (e.g., a CIM®, PFP®, FICB, CFA, CA, CFP) - in such a case, CSI may request further documentation
- CSI will accept a corporate MTI® work experience attestation from an employer confirming that an applicant has fulfilled the required work experience
- In such a case, the individual will not be subject to audit procedures