To represent yourself an as active PFP® in good standing - and to uphold the prestige of your letters - you must renew your designation annually.
All PFP®s must renew their designation by their anniversary date (the date the designation was originally granted). You will receive reminders 4 weeks and 1 week prior to your deadline.
You must meet the following maintenance requirements:
- Continuing Education
The world we work and live in is constantly evolving. As a financial advisor it’s critical that you commit to lifelong learning and have a handle on the trends and issues that affect your industry - and, most importantly, your clients.
For 2017 and previous years each PFP® is required to earn 12 continuing education (CE) hours per calendar year, starting the first full year after your earn your designation.
- 9 hours of professional development CE credits
- 3 hours of compliance-related CE credits
- CE content must fall within a competency associated with the PFP® designation.
Beginning January 1, 2018 each PFP® is required to earn 20 continuing education (CE) hours per calendar year, starting the first full year after you earn your designation.General Requirements
- 15 Hours of professional development CE credits
- 5 hours of ethics and compliance related CE credits
- CE content must fall within the competencies as provided in the PFP® Professional Competency Profile
CE Tools & Resources
- PFP® CE Assessment Tool (for 2017 and previous years)
- PFP® CE Tracking Tool (for 2017 and previous years)
- PFP® CE Course Guidelines (for 2017 and previous years)
CE Tools and Resources for 2018 and Subsequent Years
Qualifying Activity Providers
Courses can be taken from CSI or other external providers (e.g., community colleges, universities, other professional education providers or in-house at your employer). It is up to you/your employer to determine if a course meets CSI’s PFP® CE Course Guidelines.
Activity & Hours Tracking
Make sure you retain supporting documents to confirm completion of CE credits. Each year, a percentage of PFP®s will be audited to verify the CE hours claimed on their designation renewal applications.
- Code of Ethics
PFP®s must re-commit to the PFP® Code of Ethics each year.
To continue using the PFP® trademarks in your own marketing, PFP®s must re-commit to the Certification Mark Licence Agreement each year.
PFP®s are required to pay a non-refundable licence fee of $275 each year. The licence fee goes towards your trademark rights and benefits from CSI.
If You Do Not Renew
PFP®s are given the opportunity to reactivate their licence after a lapse of up to 5 years. If your designation has lapsed for more than 5 years, you’ll be required to re-take and successfully complete the Applied Financial Planning (AFP) Certification Examination and meet the work experience requirement in addition to agreeing to the PFP® Code of Ethics and the Certification Mark License Agreement.
- If you allow your designation to lapse for less than 60 days of your renewal date you will be able to renew on line without penalty
- If you allow your designation to lapse beyond 60 days, but less than one year of your licence renewal date you will be required to:
- Pay a $50 administration fee in addition to your annual licence fee
- If you allow your designation to lapse longer than one year, but less than 5 years you will be required to:
- Pay a $50 administration fee and $275 reinstatement fee in addition to the annual renewal licence fee of $275 as well as provide proof of completion of CE requirements for all years of lapse.